Summer is here and so is the heat! It’s not often spoken about, but summers are also usually the months when people fall sick. The heat also drives up our craving to eat junk foods and beverages leaving us all the more drained out. This summer is very different for all of us. We’re all couped up at home with no way to go out! All the more reason, to beat the heat, keep your body cool and healthy!
Here are some of our favourite summer foods to help you stay energised and cool, this season!
- Blueberries – Blueberries are a special treat during the summers. The anti-oxidants in blueberries help keep muscle fatigue at bay. Eating them puts less pressure on the walls of blood vessels, which is great for the body! Eat them as is or use them in smoothies and we guarantee, you’ll go back for more.
- Raspberries – Raspberries are a great source of fiber which helps lower cholesterol and are great treat for your taste buds. This fruit is packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. They also contain a mineral called manganese, which is necessary for healthy bones and skin and helps regulate blood sugar especially during the summers. Whether fresh or dried, they make a great summer snack. Next time make sure to add some raspberries in your muesli bowl.
- Energy Bars – Do you feel your energy dropping every now and then due to the heat? Well then this one’s for you. Grab a few energy bars to keep that energy maintained. They are great snack or a mini meal that offer a healthy dose of protein and fiber. Energy bars, are usually low in sugars and high in nutrients. You are going to be spoilt for choice with the number of options available in the market. So instead of reaching out to the junk food, keep an energy bar with you at all times and stay fresh all day.
- Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables – Summer brings with a range of fresh seasonal fruits. Fruits and veggies are rich in fibre and help you stay full longer and also burn off calories. If you aren’t too fond of salads, you could choose to make juices, smoothies or soups right at home. Opt for seasonal fruits and veggies like watermelons, cucumbers, melons, grapes, etc. Oh, also don’t forget to indulge in some delicious mangoes and keep the sweet cravings away.
- Almonds – There’s no doubt that you see Almonds pop up on every list of healthy eating foods. And there is a good reason for that. Almonds are rich in fiber, protein, calcium, and vitamin E, and contain fewer calories than other nuts. Almonds can take so many forms! Munch on them as nuts, include them in your smoothies, use them in your daily meals and so much more. They are also a perfect on the go snack or in between meal snacks. They are great for skin and hair especially during the dry summers.
From ice cream to aerated drinks, calorie-laden summer treats are tough to resist. The good news is, you don’t need to completely distance yourself from seasonals. But, if you reach out for one of these nutritious snacks instead, you’ll find it far easier to stick to your diet goals. These snacks can keep you healthy, happy, and fit—all summer long.